Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Infrastructure pt. 2

This is what I like about the Crunchy Con movement and the New Urbanist movement, and how I see them becoming entangled. They both evoke the spirit of neotraditionalism. I just think change should emerge in a grassroots, community-first way, and that some of the most basic ways I believe we can change this culture of consumption is through an investment in our infrastructure, building cities that are once again friendly to the pedestrian and the neighborhood, rather than commuter islands built for the benefit of the oil and auto and construction industries. Let's create communities we can once again be a part of. That's real America--and it's an idea, not a geographic location, or the arbitrary colors red or blue on a map.

From my article on Consumerism and the Crunchy Cons...

0 comments: