Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Bye, Bye Buckley

Christopher Buckley has resigned from the National Review after his rather brave endorsement of Obama the other day.

Buckley writes:

So, I have been effectively fatwahed (is that how you spell it?) by the conservative movement, and the magazine that my father founded must now distance itself from me. But then, conservatives have always had a bit of trouble with the concept of diversity. The GOP likes to say it’s a big-tent. Looks more like a yurt to me.

While I regret this development, I am not in mourning, for I no longer have any clear idea what, exactly, the modern conservative movement stands for. Eight years of “conservative” government has brought us a doubled national debt, ruinous expansion of entitlement programs, bridges to nowhere, poster boy Jack Abramoff and an ill-premised, ill-waged war conducted by politicians of breathtaking arrogance. As a sideshow, it brought us a truly obscene attempt at federal intervention in the Terry Schiavo case.

So, to paraphrase a real conservative, Ronald Reagan: I haven’t left the Republican Party. It left me.


Rich Lowry of NRO gives his take on the resignation ...

And might I add that I was totally unaware of the younger Buckley until very recently, but I find myself liking him a great deal. Bravo!

H/T The Daily Dish

0 comments: